Thursday 2 February 2012

Successful socks

Finally ~ after a few false starts and a couple of minor disagreements with the Double Pointed Knitting Sticks ~ I have finished my first ever pair of socks. And I can't even begin to tell you how ridiculously happy that makes me feel!


When I first embarked on my sock knitting journey I wasn't entirely sure if I would ever reach my desired destination. But arrive I did! And at the correct destination too! I am now the very proud owner of a hand knitted pair of socks ~ and not only do they actually look like a pair of socks, they also happen to fit me perfectly as well. Who would have thought it?


I don't mind admitting that I really did have the heebie jeebies quite badly when I first read the sock making pattern. But do you know what? Once I actually got started and decided to take it slowly step by step, all those sock making jargony words finally started to make a bit more sense. I now have a basic understanding about the construction of the sock ~ and all that sock talk of gussets and heel turning no longer turns me into a gibbering wreck! I still have a long way to go, but I really did enjoy my first ever sock journey.

In fact, I enjoyed it so much that I have already cast on my second pair. You might all be thinking that with all that Knitty excitement going on that I have forgotten about all my hooky trips. Definitely NOT! As you can see my Little Boy Blue blanket is still around and I promise that I will stop by and show you all the progress sometime soon.

I hope you all a have a very enjoyable weekend ~ whatever little woolly trips you may be taking :O)xx


13 comments:

The Knitting Mummy said...

Hello, what yarn did you use for your socks? It looks lovely and I'm about to embark on my 'first sock' journey so looking for recommendations.

Sally said...

Wow I am so impressed! Those double ended needles look so complicated! Lovely socks, well done x

Jane said...

Yay! Well done! They look brilliant - and you're so right about just taking it step by step. I gulped a bit before doing my first pair, but bit by bit they grew!
Jane x

Joanne said...

Congratulations, they are wonderfully perfect. I think it's the thought of all those needles and turning this and that which puts people off. I have finished one of my first socks and am working on the second, but mine are chunky and more like slipper socks than your proper ones.
Now I've mastered these I am going to start a regular pari!! Can't wait too see the next ones

andamento said...

Love the socks. It's an ambition of mine to knit a pair of socks one day. In the meantime I just keep crocheting all the sock wool I buy into shawls!

isaksmom said...

Your socks look beautiful, I too am just starting socks and am really enjoying it. I am knitting mine toe up and using 2 circular needles. I have used 4 dpns and frankly I feel like a new kid riding a bike every time I use them. Please share the pattern if you are able to.

MelMel said...

I've been cold all day!
but the thought of those lovely snuggly socks has warmed me up no end!

Lovely work!xxx

SusieT said...

Well done, they look great. Sock knitting is so addictive especially knitted in the round.I've just finished my first pair of mittens knitted on four needles and they are equally as easy and addictive as socks, you should give them ago now you have mastered the dpns.Sue

Nicky said...

Well done they look awesome!

Clicky Needles said...

Welcome to the dark side!

They look fabby.

Highland Monkey's said...

Good on you for keeping at it. I gave up with the thought of 4 needles!

bleudedelf said...

I excatly know how you feel!!! I've finished my first pair not so long ago!!! I love the colors of yours...
http://bleudedelf.canalblog.com/

Bella Bee And Me said...

Bravo! I'm looking at making my first pair of socks this year. Which pattern did you use?