Wednesday 19 November 2014

Dreich Outside

The weather around here has been very unsettled this week. Most of the time it has been a bit dull and overcast and there has been some very heavy downpours. In fact, it has been downright dreich!

Dreich :: An Old Scots word meaning a combination of dull,overcast, drizzly, cold, misty and miserable weather ::

Not really weather that inspires you to want to leave your cosy house and get out and about. To be honest with you, I'd much rather be sitting in front of the fire keeping myself cosy and warm, with my feet up and a cup of tea in one hand and a crochet hook in the other.

However, earlier in the week I had to go down into town to post a birthday card which HAD to be at it's destination the very next day. I wrapped myself up as warmly as I could and headed out into the cold. I decided that my best option would be to take the quickest and most direct route through the park.


The Post Office is in the High Street just beyond these pretty white buildings. This was in between showers and the sky was grey and threatening to bring more rain.


I love this archway ~ here it is again from the other side. The trees have all but lost most of their leaves now and are looking very bare indeed, and all the flower beds are empty and have been raked over in preparation for the winter ~ there is not much colour to be seen at all. The park was also pretty deserted with only a handful of hardy souls daring to brave the elements.


This is the view that greets me as I come back up the hill from the town towards my house ~ the big hill is North Berwick Law ~ taken from my back garden gate. It makes me feel so happy to live in such a beautiful place ~ surrounded by both the countryside and the seaside.


Just inside my garden gate is this beautiful riot of red berries ~ I'm not sure what the plant is but it provides a welcome injection of colour on an otherwise dull and dreary day.

Hoping your weather is not as dreich as mine :O)xx

8 comments:

Gillian said...

It's been pretty dreich here too! In Northern Ireland.

Wainwright and Wright.Co said...

You are lucky to live in such a beautiful place - and it has been dreich here too in the Midlands!
Caz xx

Julie said...

I recognise those views. Makes me feel a little homesick! Juliex

Jacquie said...

Hi Jackie, lovely atmospheric photos.
It's been pretty dull and damp round here....but not too cold.
I love the view of your hill....and the view from the top which you have shared before.
I think your mystery plant is Contoneaster.
Jacquie x

Anonymous said...

Hello Jackie,
The structure of the wonderful hedge and arch is amazing, probably more prominent this time of the year.
Your hill is a hill! Wonderful shape, almost a child's drawing,quite a challenge to climb I would imagine.
We have a hill or two in Wales so a view without one, for me, is odd.
Keep warm, have a good week.
Helen

Gillian said...

I've just nominated your blog for a Liebster award. Hope you can take part.

Gillian Roe said...

Dreich is such a great word. I only recently learned what it meant and think it sums up that kind of weather perfectly. And it's been just as dreich here in Yorkshire too! x

Alison said...

Hi Jackie, it's been dreich here too today in Derbyshire. What a great hill to have on your doorstep :-)