Friday 17 January 2014

Teeny Tiny Hats


Early one morning last week, I became an Aunty to a sweet little newborn baby boy. Well, if the truth be told, I became a GREAT Aunty! Gosh, that makes me feel so very old! But I promise you I'm not really. My sister had her babies in her early twenties, so those babies are all grown up now and have started having babies of their very own.

What better excuse do you need than a new baby to quickly cast aside all your other WIP's and make a start on a few new little baby things. The teeny tiny boy apparently needed some woolly hats to keep his teeny tiny newborn head cosy. And of course I couldn't resist and just had to knit him a hat or two.


The first hat that I decided to make was a vintage inspired, old fashioned kind of baby bonnet using the Patons Pretty as a Rosebud pattern. I'm not quite sure what yarn I used as I found it in my stash without a label, but it is a double knitting baby wool in a creamy colour. This one was knitted flat with two needles and seamed at the bottom of the crown. I decided to knit the ties instead of adding ribbon which is probably slightly more suitable for a baby boy.


The second hat that I chose to make him was a more modern beanie style hat using the Barley Hat pattern which is free on Ravelry. The yarn that I used for this one is Sirdar Snuggly DK in a baby blue colour called Sky. This one was knitted in the round using the magic loop method ~ avoiding any seaming, which I don't particularly care for!


You can see that I have just started the decreases here ~ those little dark coloured bits of wool attached to my needles are my make shift stitch markers. I do keep meaning to buy myself some proper stitch markers, but I never quite manage to get around to it. These little loops of wool do the job just as well though!


These teeny tiny hats were both really quick and easy to make and it was such an absolute pleasure being able to knit little baby things again. It seems such a long time since I knitted anything quite so tiny.

Just looking out the window and seeing the rain and hoping that it decides to go away sometime soon. Wishing you all a very lovely weekend :O)x

6 comments:

Vintage Sheet Addict said...

What lovely gifts to welcome you new nephew! :) x

Unknown said...

What sweet bonnets! Perfect for a January baby...Chrissie x

Miss Val's Creations said...

Congratulations on becoming a great aunty! The hats are adorable!

SaraJ said...

So sweet - I used to love knitting for my son when he was tiny. That seems so long ago.
Hoping you have a good weekend - the rain here has been awful - but on the plus side, we on't have to rush on Sunday morning as rugby has been cancelled.

sweetpea family said...

I love your little hats my favourite things it knit x

Kate said...

Oh my gosh, the sweetest things ever!!
SO lovely to be back in your gorgeous space after all this time. I think you were one of my very first blog friends.
Huge congratulations and happy knitting.
xx